We all have a different view on beauty. While some prefer a light, minimal touch, others lean towards a no-holds-barred approach. Wherever you find yourself, one thing is universal: we all want radiant, healthy skin. So once we’ve got the basics down, how can we make the most of our beauty routine? Let’s dive in!
- Develop a targeted skincare routine for both morning and night. Your morning routine should be all about protection – think an antioxidant serum coupled with sunscreen. Then for the evening, it’s all about preparing the skin for repair and rejuvenation. Look for products laden with exfoliating agents, retinol and peptides.
- On the topic of skincare, don’t forget about the delicate skin on your neck and décolletage. As celebrity aesthetician Joanna Czech explains: “Your ‘face’ starts at your nipples and ends at your hairline.” Whatever is applied to your face, should equally be applied to your neck and chest area, particularly sunscreen. “Be sure to apply your serums and moisturizers in an upward motion to go against gravity,” recommends aesthetician Renée Rouleau.
- Get a lymphatic drainage massage. Loved by everyone from Kris Jenner to Paris Hilton, here is a treatment you can do free of charge in the comfort of your home. Lymphatic drainage can do wonders to get rid of puffiness while keeping it clear and glowing. Keen to give it a go? New York facialist Joanna Vargas explains how: “Massage in circular motions upward. Start at the base of the neck where your arteries are. Massage in gentle circles upwards, toward the jaw, up the sides of the face, and around the eyes,” she told Byrdie. “This will help coax nutrients into the tissue. You want to do the opposite motion and start on the top of the face by the eyes if you are prone to breakouts—this will draw the waste away.”
- Avoid direct sunlight wherever possible, and if you can’t, wear sunscreen! This one is a no-brainer especially as we become more aware of the effects of climate change. But you needn’t just depend on a stand-alone sunscreen either. Layer your sun protection by incorporating SPF into the rest of your makeup too. Great picks to get started: Colorescience Brush-On Sunscreen Mineral Powder for Sensitive Skin does double duty by not only absorbing excess oils throughout the day but also adding extra SPF in a powder form. Then there is the super-affordable Milani Make it Last Sunscreen Setting Spray SPF 30 – a makeup setting spray that protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Maximize your sleep to avoid wrinkles. Did you know that, after sun exposure, the second biggest culprit of wrinkles is the way we sleep? And it stands to reason – eight hours every night of squashing your face into a pillow is guaranteed to plaster wrinkles onto your complexion. So is there a way to avoid this? “Strategically position your head so the lower half of your face never touches your pillow,” advises Rouleau. This works by limiting the amount your face is squished into the pillow which, over time, will make a considerable difference. Also, consider switching to a silk pillowcase. Not only will it help your skin retain moisture, your hair will be less prone to damage and split ends.