After a season of rain, grey skies and sub-zero temperatures, the time has finally come. Spring is on the horizon and we couldn’t be happier. No more dry, itchy skin layered under oils, balms and serums. Spring skincare is all about hydrating ingredients in lightweight formulations. And so, without further ado, we present your guide to spring skincare.
- Switch your wintry heavy moisturizer for a water-based alternative. As the air holds more moisture in warmer months, your skin doesn’t need as much extra help. A water-based lotion prevents over-loading the skin and possibly clogging the pores. A drugstore staple that has been lauded by experts is Neutrogena’s Pink Grapefruit Oil-free Moisturizer – a barely-there lightweight lotion that nourishes and, thanks to added salicylic acid, keeps acne and blemishes at bay.
- That said, don’t forget to exfoliate. Essential in getting rid of dirt as well as dead skin cells, exfoliating boosts the complexion making it brighter and healthier. To make the switch as seamlessly as possible, start small – once a week moving up to two or three times per week as the season progresses. A perennial favorite loved by bloggers and dermatologists alike is Dermalogica’s Daily Microfoliant. Blending acne-fighters rice bran and salicylic acid with soothing colloidal oatmeal and green tea, this powdery formulation will soon become a staple in your skincare arsenal.
- With exfoliation comes skin that is more sensitive to sunlight. Sunscreen with a high SPF over 50 is essential. For a lighter spring twist, why not try a sunscreen in the form of a facial mist? Shiseido’s Ultimate Sun Protection Spray Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ is a classic for good reason. Then there is new kid on the block, Zinc It Over’s zinc oxide sunscreen facial mist that comes chock full of antioxidants while keeping you protected against the sun too.
- Speaking of antioxidants, be sure to add an antioxidant serum to your spring routine. These formulations are great at protecting against infrared pollutants that contribute to free radical formation. La Roche-Posay’s Anthelios AOX Daily Antioxidant Serum is an oil-free cream perfect to be worn under makeup which doubles up as a sunscreen too.
- As the weather lightens up, remember to care for your lips too. During winter, chapped lips usually let us know that we need more moisture. But in the spring and summer months, damage can be less noticeable. Don’t forget to cover up with an SPF chapstick. A fan favorite is Supergoop’s Play Açai Lip Balm SPF 30. The luxuriously silky balm is infused with shea butter plus an impressive broad spectrum SPF.
- When it comes to the rest of your body, spring is the perfect time to swap out heavy body butters for lighter textures. Even those with dry skin will benefit from a rich gel formulation like Bio-Oil Dry Skin Gel. Only a tiny amount is enough to deeply hydrate and bolster the skin barrier. Plus added calendula oils are excellent at soothing sunburn. Those with sensitive skin will find relief with a gentle cream like the cult classic Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. Naturally free of fragrance and parabens, it’s a year-round winner regardless of the weather.